Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy early birthday to me!

My birthday is Tuesday March 30th. There are a lot of things happening that day as well as the days before it so my husband and kids decided to celebrate my birthday yesterday, Tuesday March 23rd. It was a great idea-Phil ordered me an ice cream cake and decided we would cook out on the grill. He even decided to let the kids wrap the presents (they picked out all by themselves) by themselves. The plan was sweet and perfect. Until Phil called me and said he was running about 20 min late. No big deal, except I had started our charcoal grill expecting him home. Something that I had never done before. Which explains why I used too much charcoal......and why the flames got so big.....luckily they got under control eventually. Phil got home and realized that he forgot to pick up the cake so he and Gage ran to pick it up while the girls and I prepared the meat for the grill. Phil took over and finished dinner.....which the kids complained about while we ate. Luckily they wanted cake bad enough they cleaned their plates. The cake was delicious. Dairy Queen did a great job!
Meanwhile the kids wrapped their presents in my room. I loved opening them and seeing which things they picked out. We always let the kids pick out their own presents instead of just writing their name on one that we picked out ourselves. I think its good for them to think about things other people like....it takes them outside of themselves. Megan bought me jewelry, Gage picked out a shirt and Madi a season of Reba (a series she knows I like. ) It was sweet!! Then we decided to play a board game at the kitchen table. Megan was having a difficult time seeing the board so she kept standing up on the chair. Repeatedly we told her to sit but she kept standing back up....until she slipped and fell off the chair hitting the back of her head on the chair as she fell to the ground. It swelled up in no time flat. She started crying and screaming "I am going to die!" We calmed her down enough for her to tell us that a mom at her school informed her that a four year old fell and hit his head and died. What kind of person tells a five year old that?! Any way, we reassured her that she wasn't going to die and gave her a Popsicle because that "makes everything better." I snuggled with the kids and then put them to bed, relieved that it was my turn to rest. As Phil and I went to our room he called me over to look at our down comforter. It had a piece of tape on it. When I pulled it off feathers flew every where. There was a hole about the size of a quarter right where Phil apparently set the kids up to wrap my gifts. It had not occurred to him to put the 5, 7 and 8 year olds with scissors some place like a table or the floor. I laughed....the perfect end to my family birthday! Lucky for me any day good or bad with my kids and hubby is a perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Haha. I'm glad you didn't set your house on fire... that woulda been bad. I don't know how to use a grill either. Why didn't dad ever teach us?? I can't believe the mom told those kids about the little boy who died. =( Glad everything turned out okay (except your comforter...)

    Love your new layout!

    ReplyDelete